Our drive through the countryside of Australia was not nearly as scenic as our drive through New Zealand, but, for us, logistically it was the best way to see all the towns along the coast line. There is a train, but we are the type of travelers that like to go off and do random things when we tour and not having a car would feel restrictive.
Although the drive between town were long (4-8 hours stretches) and flat, the beach towns of Queensland are spectacular and the weather was perfect.
- Our favorite beach town was Cairns.
- We heard from a lot of locals that we should skip it but it was a nice town, not over crowded, and had a lively vibe.
- Our most surprising good time was in Yeppoon
- Our favorite small town beach was Mount Column (just north of the Sunshine Coast.)
- Our favorites activities were the Wildlife preserve in Cooberry and the Great Barrier reef tour from Cairns.
- Our favorite site was the Whitsunday White Sand Beaches.
- It gets a lot of hype but it is an aaaaammmazing beachline. (Funny, on the way up other towns claimed to have similar beaches on the cheap but they were wrong.)